Wednesday 14 October 2009

Not expecting multiples!

When I first moved to Edinburgh, there was a day of great wonder...

That day was when I went to the nearby cineworld complex to see Slumdog millionaire. The wonder came not from Danny Boyle's heartwarming and gutwrenching masterpiece, no. Slumdog was sold out that night.

Before the great move up North, a sold out film would have been the end of my evening. Where I grew up, there was one cinema a half hours drive away that had one screen and a consession stand devoid of Ben and Jerry's. So this was a shock. I looked up and saw there were ten screens to choose from that night. Ten! My more cosmopolitan friends looked at me like I was an insane puppy, as I scampered up and down the screens salivating at all the alternatives.

I opted to see Ed Zwick's 'Defiance' that night. The warm glow that I had from the realisation that I would never have to put up with all that single screen bullshit again meant that I could easily overlook Daniel Craig's dodgy slavic accent and the infuriating way they phased back and forth between Russian and English for the whole film. It didn't matter. I had arrived in the blissful land of the multiplex.

I have all sorts of film analogies I could make about this. I could say I was like Luke leaving Tattooine, and suddenly realising that there's a great wide universe out there with jawas and robotic replacement limbs. Or I could say it was like being torn from Kansas by a bloody great twister and winding up in the emerald city. But Lucas has been surgically removed from my heart and relocated to a bile duct, and Dorothy references are always more than a bit gay. But anaolgies aside, you get the idea.

The next day I bought my unlimited pass. £13.99 for as many films as I can cram in one month. Pretty sweet deal. This blog will feature reviews of all the films I see with it.

Here we.....go!

No comments:

Post a Comment